AS IF YOU NEED AN EXCUSE TO EAT MORE PIZZA!!
Pizza is one of our favorites at Get My PERKS because it’s yummy, it’s yummy and it is YUMMY. Since 93% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month, we thought we would honor the pie and honor the month with some pizza-loving facts.
We’re not going to start a regional pizza war, here, since we know our fans in Chicago like a pizza that our buds in New York would not understand and even the tiny pocket of Northeastern Pennsylvania that has it’s own style of pizza (howdy Old Forge) is still friends with the thin and crispy white pizza lovers in San Francisco. It’s all pizza — and it’s all delicious — and we’re happy as can be that we get to talk about it (and sample a lot, too).
- Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza each day — or about 350 slices per second.
- There are over 60,000 pizza places in the United States (and you can find some great offers for some of them at Get My PERKS)
- Kids have picked pizza as their favorite food in the US
- 46 slices of pizza are eaten per man, woman and child in the US each YEAR (I think my husband skews the numbers for our family)
- 36% of all pizzas sold in this country have pepperoni on them
- Pizza accounts for 10% of all food service sales
- Delivery drivers at Domino’s Pizza will drive about 4 million miles on Superbowl Sunday
- The largest pizza ever made was 122 ft. 8 in. in diameter. The pizza needed 9,920 lb of flour, 198 lb of salt, 3968 lb of cheese, and 1,984 lb of tomato puree
- Eating pizza once a week can reduce the risk of esophageal cancer (good enough excuse for me!)
- Mozzarella cheese accounts for nearly 80 percent of Italian cheese production in the United States.
- The most popular pizza size in the U.S. today is 14 inches in diameter.
So, our final question is: why hasn’t anyone deep fried a pizza (Texas State Fair — I’m talking to you!)?
Katherine Ide is the Sr. Director of Product Monetization for Entercom Communications and is in charge of Get My PERKS. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, coffee and searching out great offers for your family and friends.