Traveling with our 4-legged family members involves more than hopping in the car and taking off. You want to be sure you have everything thing they need to feel safe and comfortable. Here are some products and tips from the ASPCA to make your pet feel at home while away from home:
- Prep your pet for a long trip. Gear them up for a long trip by getting them use to car rides. Short local trips will help them get used to being in a car. some states require this proof at certain interstate crossings.
- Bring proper documentation. Be sure your pet is up to date on all shots. Identify your dog while keeping them cool using this cooling pet collar.
- Keep your pets safe and secure. If you keep them in a crate, be sure it is well ventilated and secure enough that it won’t slide around. You want your pet to fit in the crate comfortable. If you choose not to bring a crate, be sure your pet is strapped in with a harness that is attached to a seat belt. Never let your pet hang their head out the window. Keep your dog from trying to join you upfront with this car barrier.
- Put together a pet travel kit. Bring food & water, 2 bowls, a leash, plastic bags, grooming supplies, medication and first-aid and a favorite toy. Be sure to pack plenty of water, and avoid feeding your pet in a moving vehicle.
- Never leave your animal alone in a parked vehicle. Even with the heat or A/C on you can cause serious harm to your pet.
- Make their stay more comfortable. For larger pets, this travel friendly plush bed will make your pet feel at home. For smaller dogs and cats, this hooded dome pet bed will make them feel safe and secure.