This is a perfect winter meal to help cut through all that heavily holiday fare. Dawn M. of Gainesville, FL says this is a family favorite for cold winter nights.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 CUPS onions, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons ground Coriander
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- Chicken broth (at least 2 Cups)
- 15 Oz Tomato sauce
- 6 Oz tomato paste
- 1 Cup Tequila
- ½ Cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper
- 3 4 whole bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 limes cut in wedges
- In large soup kettle, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Cook until onions are softened.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce, paste, tequila, lime juice and remainder of seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves. Adjust seasonings if needed. Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lime over top.
- Serve with lime- flavored nacho chips, shredded colby jack cheese and sour cream if desired.