We had to look it up, but a Pierniki is a traditional Polish cutout cookie that is flavored by anise. Barb B. of Buffalo NY says Pierniki is a favorite holiday tradition and the recipe is one that has been passed down in her family for generations. She even has the original recipe card her grandmother printed on and that makes this tradition even more special for her family.
- 1 lb. butter or ½ lb butter and ½ lb. Crisco
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¾ to 2 cups sugar
- Small container of sweet whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda in a little hot water
- About 7-8 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon anise oil
- Cream the butter. Gradually add all the ingredients, alternating adding them all until they are all gone……adding a little flour at a time.
- Roll out the cookie dough and cut with various holiday cutters. Flour the rolling pin before using.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Frost them with a confectioners sugar frosting…..Mix a little warm water into some powder sugar and then add a drop more of anise for frosting flavoring. You can add red or green food coloring if you chose to make a Christmas colored frosting……
Barb has won $50 in PERKS Bucks to spend on things that will make even more fun family memories. Visit Get My PERKS and find your next big adventure!